Door Jukes are a class of glitches that allow Link to bypass the room transition trigger on subtile doors.
|Door type||Jukes that work|
Red or green YBAs can be used to juke the transition trigger for all others door. A YBA is the only way to juke west doors and south auto-doors. Note that in addition to juking transitions, YBAs usually have other effects as well.
East and south doors can be juked by using a carryable object to snap past the transition.
This method for juking works with both somaria blocks and bombs, the only difference being that bombs are temporary and can deal damage to Link, with the bonus that they can be walked over. This method can be used on both east and south normal doors. It does not work on any auto doors.
- Snap to the deepest pixel
- Pick up the item and press the direction out of the door ( for south doors; for east doors)
- Throw the item
- Move into the door exactly 2 pixels
- This is best done while the block or bomb is in the air, especially when using dash buffers
- Tapping works for getting on the correct pixel, but is less consistent and not necessarily faster than using dash buffers. If a somaria block has already landed, tapping still works, but will take longer, as the block will need to be pushed first.
- Pick up the item and press the direction out of the door ( for south doors; for east doors)
This method for juking only works on east doors, but it works on both normal and auto doors. It is the only way to juke an auto door without YBAs.
- Snap to the deepest pixel with bombs
- Place a bomb (placing it to the north provides the best visibility)
- Right before the bomb is about to explode (~150f after placing; count 3 flashes) press then press on the next frame
Both methods put Link 2 pixels past the transition trigger. By moving further into the next room, the transition can be activated from the other side.
Eastern Palace Big Key Juke
This trick allows the player to access the Big Key in Eastern Palace quickly if you have Cane of Somaria (and some magic) or Bombs. Because of desync and uncooperative transitions after the trick is done, you'll be unable to continue with the dungeon "as normal" after performing this. You'll have to deathwarp, use the Mirror, or S&Q.
Technique with Somaria:
Optimal Method Using Two Snaps
Two Snap EP BK Juke
- Place a block right out of the doorway. You can also do this to the left, but there's one less pixel you can place the block at, making it more precise for no gain. Make sure you're holding
8C0. You'll have 4 x-coordinates you can place the block at and be able to grab it from the doorway:
the entire time here so that Link never moves away from the door more than necessary. Your y-coordinate should be
- Hold sword facing right and back into the doorway until Link is at least down to
8D2. Lift the block and press to snap deeper in the door to y-coordinate
8D8. The lowest pixel you can grab the block at depends on the x-coordinate you placed it on, but you'll always have a few pixels of leniency.
- After snapping to
8D8, throw the block, hold sword, and back down to y-coordinate
8E3. The reason we hold sword is so that we can land on both of those pixels, making this a two frame window to work. If you go to
8E4, you'll transition, which can be costly depending on the category and magic route stuff since you'll lose your somaria block. If you stop high above
8E2, you can back it up with the 3 snap strat shown below.
- If you're able to stop on
8E3, lift the block and tap to snap to
8E8. Throw the block and quickly tap and then hold . Make sure you get those inputs in before the block lands, and you should transition to the cannonball highway room.
- The camera will be slightly incorrect in the cannonball highway room, but it's not too much trouble to get a feel for where you are. You'll be on the upper catwalk part close to the door to the Eastern Big Key room. Hold until you can see the upper catwalk start to appear at the top of your screen, then hold to transition to the Big Key room. Hit the floor switch and open the chest to get the Big Key (you can't be hit by anything in this room, so don't worry about the enemies). If you want to deathwarp, go and use the Big Key door at the top of the room. You'll transition right on top of the group of antifairies that surround the pot where you can damage yourself down to 0hp.
Three Snap Method
Three Snap EP BK Juke
The Three Snap method is an option that can either be a backup to grabbing the block above
8E2 after the first throw with the Two Snap strat or as an approach in itself.
- Similar to above except after the snap to
8D8, an intermediate snap is performed.
- After the throw at
8D8, tap and wait for the block to land. Lift it and tap to snap Link deeper in the door to y-coord
8E0. This position is very close to
8E3. You'll definitely want to do it this way if select buffering, and some even prefer it with sword out tapping as well.
This video shows three useful safeties you can use. You can opt for all of them or mix and match with the above strats.
- Hold sword facing left/right before the door: This can make placing the block accurately out of the doorway easier. Remember to still hold perpendicular to the doorway to make sure you y-coord keeps as close to the door as possible.
- Select buffer to
8E3: Select buffering will let you precisely control your movement in the doorway. If you're more comfortable with this than tapping the dpad with sword out, then it can be a good option.
- Pop the block after throwing it for the final time: this will prevent the block from ever getting in your way when you do the quick into move to transition.
Backup for Poor Block Placement or Grabbing High
If you place the block too far away from the doorway or you grab the block higher than y-coord
8D2, you can do this to avoid having to place a new block. Throw the block south at the doorway and then enter the door as the block is in the air. Inch closely to it until you're able to pick it up at or below
8D2 so you can snap. Holding sword as you approach the block from below can help with keeping you from getting too high and being unable to snap down.
- Main article: Mirror Door
Mirror door, along with its other effects, acts as a door juke.
By mirroring while Link is standing in front of a statue, the game will continue to think that he is in front of it, and an invisible statue can be dragged with.
Statue dragging only works on normal doors, but it is also the only way to juke supertile doors, north doors, and entrances.
Statue Drag to Helmasaur
This is an important trick for most MG runs that have to defeat King Helmasaur as it allows very quick access to the fight and the player doesn't need the Big Key.
Helma Statue Drag
Sometimes you'll want a heart here in the lower right pot, or maybe your bomb route doesn't need the pots in the other video. Make sure you're familiar with how to scroll the camera. File
- Have the door leading to the Junction Room unlocked. Most routes will unlock this by default, and you'll never have to think about it but just in case -- it's essential for this trick to work that it's unlocked.
- Mirror while touching the pushable statue. This will store Statue Drag.
- Walk up to the door above. DON'T dash, any
930-934. Some players will intentionally walk off-center and nudge at the door, which makes placing on the highest coordinate (
930) very consistent, which is desirable for reasons we'll see in the next step.
press will start using our Statue Drag state. Place a bomb while facing up near the doorway. We want this bomb to damage us in the doorway, and there are 5 y-coordinates you can place it on and have this happen:
- After placing the bomb, walk into the doorway, face down, begin holding
911so that we're snapped to
910and lose door-state (taking damage in doors will allow us to use items and sword). The exact window gets substantially larger the further up your bomb placement was. If you placed on
930, your working positions for getting hit will be
911-90A, an 8px window. But if you placed at
911-910work for just a 2px window.
(activating our Statue Drag state), and move upwards onto a specific window. We want to take damage from the bomb while at or above y-coordinate
- You should now be snapped to
910and have the ability to slash and use items. Face left and place another bomb. It's important you don't place this bomb downwards because we need it to damage us later, and its hitbox won't reach if placed while Link is facing down.
- Slash sword twice quickly but don't mash. This is a timing mechanism to make sure we get hit by the bomb during a specific window of our next Statue Drag. If you press the 2nd
900such that when he's damaged, he is snapped down to
900. If you go too high (
8F8 or above), the bomb will snap you to
8F8, where you'll have to Mirror and start the trick over. If you're too low when taking damage, you may get snapped to
900, but the next part of the trick will fail. You'll have to Mirror and start over. This positioning is all in the slash setup for timing, so work on that while watching your coordinates and you should be able to get it down.
too quickly, your 2nd slash animation may cancel your first and you'll end up going too fast. After slashing, tap and begin holding to activate Statue Drag again and quickly begin dragging upwards until you get hit. We want our drag to take Link higher than y-coordinate
- After taking damage, make sure you let go of
900in the step above, which means Mirroring and starting from the top. If you do have the funky scroll, walk partially into the entrance doorway, face up, and hold to start another Statue Drag. Drag downwards into the y-coordinate window
9E6-9FF(massive window) before letting go of and walking down through the door.
before Link is out of his damage knockback frames. We now want to walk down to the entrance doorway. If you're walking down and the camera doesn't begin to scroll below the doorway, you didn't drag above
- We are now in the 3-section room with the mini-helmas on the sides. The camera can make it difficult to tell where in the room you are, but the goal now is to open the bottom right door using the floor switch under the top-right pot in the room. We then want to use the door while having the camera set to a certain height. You may also want to grab certain bomb or heart pots in the room depending on the exact category and route you're playing.
08FFor lower before going through it. To watch this value in the practice hack, open up the menu and go > HUD Extras > Super Watch > UW Glitches. The bottom left value with the camera next to it is your y-camera scroll position. You can also see the screenshot of the camera at that spot. There are a couple different ways you can scroll the camera in this room (bonking, rapidly moving up and down). Choose what works best for you and your pot route in the room. If you go through the bottom right door with a bad camera, the trick will fail and you'll have to Mirror and start over.
- In this next room, we need to hit a floor switch that's slightly down and to our right without EVER moving up at all. It is therefore critical that you don't walk below the switch while moving to it, as then you're left with no choice but to move up to press it, which will make the next transition fail. The lowest you can walk and still hit the switch is y-coord
A49. The highest position you can activate it from is
A3A. This is a full tile 16px window, so it shouldn't be too hard to get down and develop good cues. After hitting the floor switch, walk back left and dash down to transition.
- You're now in King Helmasaur's room but trapped behind the spike wall at the top. Hold until Link takes damage (he's running into a spike) and then roll to during your knockback frames to escape the spike wall. You can then walk down along the left side of the room and begin fighting Helma.
- A common strat with this fight is just after transitioning in, place a bomb and throw it down. There are a couple of Helma's walking patterns where this won't hit, but when it does it can make the fight much easier as the bomb will deal 4 hammer hits worth of damage to Helma's mask.