These are the categories commonly run for A Link to the Past. They are broken up into 2 major sections, categories that allow the use of Major Glitches and those that do not.
No Major Glitches Categories
- Any% (NMG, No S+Q): The most commonly run category, the goal is to complete all of the intended content.
- 100% (NMG, No S+Q): Collects all menu items - only the max upgraded items and all heart containers are required.
- Low% (NMG, No S+Q): Complete all of the intended content with the minimum amount of items/upgrades.
- Master Sword (NMG): A short and very popular goal to race for beginners.
- Cane of Byrna (NMG, No S+Q): A goal in which you get the Cane of Byrna as soon as possible.
- Mirror Shield (NMG, No S+Q): A fun race category that involves item collection and low health.
Major Glitches Categories
- Any% (No EG/DG/WW): Beating the game with OoB.
- Reverse Boss Order (RBO): Beating the game in reverse boss order. All glitches are allowed.
- Defeat Ganon: Uses EG to defeat Ganon quickly.
- All Dungeons (No EG/DG/WW): Beating all the dungeons while using OoB.
- All Bosses (No EG): Beating all the dungeons while using OoB, DG and WW.
- All Dungeons (Swordless): Beat all the dungeons in the game without ever collecting a sword. All glitches are allowed.
- 100% (All Heart Pieces): Collects all menu items and defeating all dungeons/bosses while using glitches.
- Any%: Beating the game the fastest way possible, uses EG to beat the game in about 2 minutes.
- Any% (No OoB): Allows for some forms of YBA, which skips some dungeons and Overworld content.
Rules and Definitions
- EG (Exploration Glitch): Walking on the wrong layer through walls.
- DG (Door Glitch): Bypassing or corrupting a door transition on the underworld.
- WW (Wrong Warp) : Using a hole in a room to transfer the player to a room which is not intended to be accessed from the former.
- OoB (Out of Bounds): Passing through game designed boundaries and walls.
See this speedrun.com guide for a more in-depth definition of the glitches.
Other category restrictions
- S+Q (Save & Quit): In categories where it is not allowed, beneficial (Overworld) death warping is also banned.
- Swordless: Obtaining a sword at any point is banned.
- All Dungeons: You need to kill all bosses and collect their heart container, and also collect all pendants and crystals.
- All Bosses: This is the same as All Dungeons.
- All Heart Pieces: You need to collect each individual and unique heart piece in the game, as opposed to using a glitch to get 20 HP quickly.
- Reverse Boss Order: Beating all the bosses in reverse order, starting with Ganon and ending with Armos. You end the game by grabbing the Triforce after killing Armos.
- ZSNES (all versions) and SNES9X (1.43 and below) are banned.
- Only official Japanese, American and European versions are allowed.
- Turbo, emulator specific functionality and techniques that simultaneously press Up+Down or Left+Right are all banned.
- Saving and quitting (S&Q) and intentionally dying to emulate a S&Q are banned, unless (S&Q) is stated in the category name.
- Timing starts on file select and ends upon entering the Triforce room, unless otherwise stated in the individual category rules.